Thursday, March 10, 2011

First Awakenings

This Breakfast and Lunch Restaurant is sooooo delicious!  I mean, it's really good and it has that addictive quality to it.  My husband and I order the same thing every time...almost without fail.  This is a local's spot, but if you've visited the area enough times, you'll know many tourists flock here too.  Everyone goes to First Awakenings because the food is amazing!  If you're craving pancakes...go here, and order "Pancake" because when they serve you just one, that's plenty.  I recommend their wheat-germ pancake, YUM!  Or try their summer oatmeal...the presentation is fun to play with if you're a big kid and I promise you'll enjoy it!  Their skillets are so delicious and their staff is wonderfully friendly and prompt.  One more little fact, if you enjoy their hot sauce on the tables, you may purchase some at the register when you pay for your meal.  I have only seen people enjoying themselves when they eat here and when they leave, just anxious to return.  This is a wonderful, casual breakfast place right in Pacific Grove near the Monterey border.  Their location is in the American Tin Cannery.  If you walk through the Tin Cannery after you enjoy this place there is an upstairs area, and if you have children and quarters, they can sit on the car ride with Elmo and pretend to take a drive.  Parking on the street is available if you have coins, but if you plan to enjoy your dining experience at First Awakenings, go to the parking area just up the street and let them know you'll be having breakfast there...they will give you a ticket to have stamped at the restaurant and you'll receive the first 2 or 3 hours of parking free.  The American Tin Cannery has been adding more stores to their listings but they still have many empty spaces.  I remember when this place had a store filled in every available spot.  They had a great bookstore upstairs, they had a kitchen store downstairs, clothing stores for children, all kinds of things in their hay-day.  They still have some great stores if you walk through, but you'll notice the bare feeling.  First Awakenings continues to shine there though.  No surprise why. 

Who knows who you'll spot when you eat here. 

Have you ever seen an episode of I Love Lucy?  There was one episode where Lucy got starstruck after running into William Holden.  My friend and I had an experience just like this (well, at least the first 50 seconds). There used to be a youtube link to the clip from the show but it is no longer available. Either way, below is the story.

So, I met my friend for breakfast at yummy First Awakenings.  We sat outside on a sunny day and then Paul Walker was seated behind my friend...just like Ethel, I whispered to let her know who was behind her.  Now, I understand Paul Walker is not of the same William Holden fame, but still.  Paul is the guy who hasn't shaved in a few days (Picture below, courtesy of my wonderful friend).  She got a little starstruck and I could not stop playing the I Love Lucy episode in my mind while all this unfolded.  That was probably one of my favorite times eating here.  I don't blame her for being a little starstruck and taking a picture of him...I thought it was great!



*In 2006, Rachael Ray dined at First Awakenings for her $40 a Day show.  This restaurant was featured on the show and Rachael enjoyed crepeggs...something I admit I haven't tried yet because I'm so stuck on my "usual" here!  Click here to see the link to the food network's website. 

Visit http://www.firstawakenings.net/ to view locations, hours, menu, and more. 

2 comments:

  1. I love the Chicken Little!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try that! I have a hard time avoiding my usual. I will go there with purpose saying, "I will try something new, I will try something different"...then the server comes and I say, "Oh I'm getting the usual."

    ReplyDelete